Sunday, May 25, 2014

Are you enjoying life, or just existing?

About a month ago I had a visit with my nutritionist (Ryan).  This is something that can be very dreadful for someone trying to lose weight.  My nutritionist lives in the real world.  She has never suggested a strict diet for me, or large amounts of exercise.  She focuses mainly on making small changes to have a lasting impact and lifestyle change. 

I had 2 visits this winter where I had gained weight which can be very difficult to overcome and turn around and head in the other direction.  The first visit in January, I got on the scale to find I had gained about 10 lbs.  My visit in late Feb I had gained more and had just been on the scale 2 days prior at urgent care so I did not want to weigh myself again.  I should also mention that I am not an obsessively checking my weight.  I do have a scale at home, however I have not been on that scale in over a year.  I only weigh in at doctors offices and at the nutritionist.

I had spent the previous 5 weeks being more active with my kayaking and doing some hiking.  I also mostly had been taking the stairs instead of the elevator, even to the 5th floor of some hotels I had been at.

Ryan asked me what I had been up to since our last visit.  Mind you I had been traveling like crazy, and even managed to nip up to surprise my mom for Easter.  I sat back and thought for a few seconds and responded with "Enjoying life."  She appeared to be a bit concerned with my response and she asked me to elaborate.

I explained that I had been traveling quite a bit, however I was taking time to enjoy where I was.  When in Tennessee I managed to get out and kayak on the Cumberland Reservoir a few times.  Taking a few afternoons off here and there to go out kayaking, walking or biking.  Yes, doing these for some activity but not to focus on exercise but to get out and do something in the sense of stopping to smell the roses.   Realizing that what is happening around me has never happened before, and will never happen again.  Enjoying the moment.  Every moment.  Enjoying life.

Ryan asked me how my eating had been.  I told her I was not doing any protein shakes, and that I was not counting calories or doing portion control.  I was just eating when I felt hungry, drinking plenty of fluids (mostly water) and trying to recognize when I had a bottomless pit day and to not binge on anything.  She then asked if I wanted to get on the scale.  I wanted to, however I thought that it would be about even with my visit in January (down a bit from late February).

I was absolutely shocked when I found out I was down 9 lbs since the January visit, and about 20 lbs since my February visit.

I cannot even explain how this is possible as I had pizza.  I had wings.  Not a lot, but some when I felt the craving.  I ate some salads, but not more than once a week.

My biggest explanation is that I have just been working on ME.  What do I need to do to be happy.  Slowing down a bit and enjoying life.  The last year or so has been an eye opening chapter in my life.  For the 5 years prior to this I can sum it up in 1 word:  existing.  I was not doing much of anything that I wanted to do.  I was not doing much more than getting up every day, feeding myself some food, working each day so I would have money to exist, and then going to bed at night.  I did very little for myself to make my world a better place.  I did very little for those around me to make their world better.

What did this do for me?  It made me crazy depressed (and I had no idea).  There were times when I contemplated the meaning of life and could not even begin to think of what it is for.  There were times when thoughts wondering if anyone would miss me if I just disappeared.

Life is hard.  People change.  Towns change.  Relationships change.  It is challenging to keep on top of all of this, and to also keep yourself happy.  I challenge you to take some time and reflect on yourself and try to determine if you are enjoying life, or simply existing. 

If you find you may think you are exisitng, it is not that hard to make a change.  It does not have to be a huge drastic change such as developing a kayaking obsession, becoming a marathon runner, or becoming a vegetarian.  It can be as simple as just doing 5 minutes of yoga when you wake up in the morning to start your day.  Or doing 5 pushups.  Eating 1 more piece of fruit a day.  Grabbing your camera and taking a photo of something that made you smile.  Calling up an old friend you have lost touch with.  Live with intent, have a plan or a vision of what you want to do, or where you want to go and make it happen.

Change something.  Even the smallest change can make a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment