Saturday, February 22, 2014

Digital Dependence

Technology has advanced quite a bit in my time.  No more corded phones, no more encyclopedias, no more getting up to change the channel on the TV.

Can any of you actually remember having to use 2 keys to operate your car, one for the door and one for the ignition?  Having to drive around without having your phone with you?  What happens if you get a flat tire, or an accident?

I have seen many commercials in the past few years regarding getting people being addicted to their digital devices.  One is from Coleman about social networking, and another is a recent Chevy commercial and going out to lunch where all the people are on their phones and totally tune out the rest of the world.  Just yesterday I saw a Coke Commercial regarding a new product, the Social Media Guard.

The people in the office I work out of had noticed how everyone was texting, emailing and facebooking when they would go out for lunch.  They started playing a game where everyone puts their phone face down in the center of the table at the beginning of the meal.  First one to grab their phone pays the bill.  If the bill comes first, everyone pays their own share.  It sure makes you think twice about grabbing your phone, and then you will actually socialize with others without your phone.

Have you ever had anything that important come across your phone in the last year that it would matter that you responded within 30 seconds?  I know I cannot.

When someone focuses on their phone, they are REALLY focused.  I have watched people run into other people whilst texting, and even inanimate objects.  Some cities have wrapped padding around their light poles because of this!

I have seen some texting apps that use your camera so you can "see" what is coming up as you are texting.

Then there is people who use their phones while driving.  I am not talking about making a phone call, I am talking about facebook, taking pictures, texting, etc.  That is just DANGEROUS!  I used to do it, but I have not done it in a few years.  I will pull over if I feel it is that important.

Studies have shown when we focus on something, our vision goes from nearly 180 degrees to less than 5 degrees, essentially tunnel vision.

I challenge you to take a few hours a week to put down your technology.  Go for a drive without your phone.  Leave your phone in your car during a lunch with a friend.

Regain your independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment